Saturday, October 13, 2007

H.R. Runnin' Stuff

Way back when I first began blogging, I wrote about reviewing running gear. Since I'm a fat runner, but getting skinnier, I try to buy running shoes and clothes that will hold up to my weight and body frame.

The other day, and because I'm training for another long, long run for diabetes, I went searching for some shoes that would carry me the long haul. Dean Karnazes, The Ultramarathon Man, designed a pair shoes specifically for the ultramarathoner, but they are well suited for someone like me, as well. Noticing our local bike and trail shop carried these bad boys, I trucked it over for a look-see.

The North Face Arnuva 50 Boa running shoes are a match made in Heaven for me. There's no conventional laces to fuss with. Rather, the laces are integrated and controlled by this really cool dial in the heel of the shoe. I tried these puppies on and was instantly hooked. With a $125 price tag I knew I'd have to save a little cash to get them, but I'm on my way back this week to grab them. They are light, but stable--a plus for someone over 200 lbs. I really dig the lacing system.

If you get a chance, go to The North Face web site and check them out. As soon as I get them on and start running on the treadmill, I'll give you more details. The store let me test drive them and they are sweet.

After last year's 50 mile run/walk for diabetes, I discovered performance wear. I've always been a t-shirt and jersey shorts wearer. I graduated into mesh shorts a few years ago, but it wasn't until training for my ultra-long run did I embrace performance shirts and shorts with moisture-wicking fibers. So, now I snatch up gear like that anytime I find them on sale. I scored three shirts and two pairs of shorts today for around $4 a piece. This was high-dollar stuff but with fall arriving, our local stores start clearancing summerwear out. Problem is, it was 90 degrees in Amarillo today so fall really isn't here. My gain!

I guess that's one of the things I like most about running...the clothes, shoes, and gear. It's fun to get dressed and hit the road. It gives me a sense of confidence and good self-esteem that I don't always find when I'm at work.

Let me know what shoes you wear and tell me about the gear you use when working out. As runners, we should pass along helpful information. If you have any advice regarding training for being on your feet for 12 hours, let me hear it. I'm heading that way so I need all the help I can get.

May God bless you with great running!



TFR

2 comments:

Jason said...

$125??? WOW....for me that's a lot of money for shoes! Now if we were talking about something for hunting.....well for those who don't know me that is just a drop in the bucket! I still get teary eyed at a price tag over $60 for shoes, unless it's hunting boots!
Anyway, any reviews on some "budget" shoes? I am using some Asics that I picked up on sale for $30, added some inserts and I am good to go. I will say that the Nike trail shoes that I have are definitely not what you want for running! Way to hard, felt like I was running on cement barefoot! Glad to see you back on the blog, enjoyed dinner with everyone at your place tonight, see ya at the gym.

The Fat Runner said...

I'll tell you what. I'm a bargain hunter too, but when it comes to your feet and we're both big guys, we need to be conscious of support. Asics remains the best shoes for big guys, in my opinion. I try a lot of different shoes, especially with a long run looming ahead. Adidas also makes a good cushioned shoe.

I do caution you to steer away from shoes under the regular retail price of $60. If you can find a higher priced shoe on sale, you can bet it'll have a better sole and more stability.

You might keep your eyes open for deals at Finish Line. I've been running in Nike's and found a particular style that suits me well. They have all but gone off the shelves.

Check Academy and Finish Line for Asics running shoes.

Also, Target is clearing out lots of their Champion workout clothing and ridiculous prices--$4.24 for 2XL shirts and shorts. These are regularly $15-$18.

Hang in there, Man. You're looking great!


Gregg