Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas to All

It has been a long year. Back when 2007 began, I asked God make this my best year ever.

January began with me contracting a bacterial infection in my stomach that put me down for nearly a month. In March, my youngest daughter, whose depression reached its pinnacle, fell completely apart and was hospitalized with high blood sugars and to treat her mounting depression due to her diabetes and the all the problems it created for her. Then, this same kid slammed into two vehicles, totaling them and hers. Thankfully she wasn't seriously injured.

Just when we thought things were going to calm for our family, my oldest daughter, home from college, was struck by an oncoming car as they both tried to beat the light at the intersection just down from our house. She was seriously injured and wound up with a severe staph infection in her leg that lingered for two months.

The fall and October brought the death of my stepfather who had been recently diagnosed with cancer and had fought a lifelong battle with diabetes. Indeed, there would be many that could say 2007 hasn't been a great year for my family.

But, let's count the blessings, shall we? Yes, my youngest was in deep depression, couldn't sleep for months, and did go to the hospital. She has since been hospitalized twice from complications related to her diabetes. And, she was involved in a three-car accident. Still, she managed to graduate from high school a semester early, has managed her blood sugars beautifully in the last three months of the year, and is already enrolled at our local college where she plans to be a nurse. Blessing one.

Alicia, my oldest, survived her t-boning and lived to walk away from it. Her leg healed and she decided to enroll at a university just a few miles from our city and is now working on her teaching degree. She works two jobs, attends school full-time, and pretty much pays for everything she gets. I'd say she's done pretty well for herself. Blessing two.

While my stomach continues to be a chronic issue, it has made me pay more attention to my diet and self-care. I realize no one will take care of me but ME. All our health issues have made me more keenly aware of the importance of nipping problems before they surface. Blessing three.

My stepfather dying was unexpected and quite a blow to all of us, but it has brought us all together as a closer unit. Thanksgiving was lighter and tonight our Christmas Eve dinner will have more meaning since he won't be there with us. My mom and youngest nephew both have attended church functions with us. I continue to leave the invitation open to my sister, but that's up to her. The fact remains our family is growing closer together. Blessing four.

All of these things have helped me face the little crises with a different perspective. Last week, we had a hot water leak in the hallway by our living room. My wife just began to bawl at the thought of a plumbing bill that might be in the thousands since our home is built on a concrete slab. We both understood at that moment this could be a huge dent in our pocketbooks. But, somewhere, and I believe it was God, I summoned the courage and said, "It'll be all right. It's only money." I said a prayer that evening that God would send us an angel in the form of a plumber with a big heart. He did just that. We needed a new water heater and he fixed the leak. Eventually, the cost was $1500 under my guess-timate. What a tremendous blessing!

Praise God for all the opportunities he's presented me and my family with this year. We've had a chance to grow in our faith as it has been tested so fervently over the past two years. God has created a family of battle-hardened, crisis managers that are willing to fight Satan at every turn and will not fly the white flag in any situation. This is the greatest blessing we received this year.

Rather than look at the bad and flee, we assess the threat, break it down, and stand and fight. We praise God when it's good and praise him when it's bad, because it's never that bad. We have the assurance of eternal life with him and that's all I need to know.

My life is good. 2007 has indeed been my best year ever. On December 31, at 11:59 pm, I will pray that God makes 2008 my best year ever. New Year's Day will be the two-year anniversary of my daughter's survival from the most traumatic event of her life--a coma. What a great way to start my best year ever. To remember my daughter's rebirth and why I am blessed beyond measure.

God bless you all and may 2008 be your best year ever.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a great year!!!




The Fat Runner

No comments: