Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School

I'm back to blogging after a sabbatical. You'd think summer would give me more time and freedom to blog, but I spent most of the summer teaching summer school, attending trainings, and working with our middle schoolers at church. But now, it's back to school and back to blogging.

I'm a member of a terrific site known as The Runners' Lounge. TRL is a site created, in the words of its founders, "by runners, for runners." Recently, I submitted my story in the Lounge's "Inspirational Stories" section about my weight loss, running, and family adversities. It was chosen as best story for the month of August. I'm completely humbled and excited to receive this honor. What a great way to start back to work.

This recent experience, along with these first two days of school, really got me to thinking. I am more blessed than I realize to be a teacher. Do I want to teach the rest of my life? Probably not. My dream is to be a writer and make that my career. I love writing and sharing stories with readers. But for now, I'm a teacher and proud of it. My kids have been wonderful, thus far. Sure, I know it's only going into our third day of the new school year, but after you've taught a while, you get a sense of how the semester is going play out. My initial gut feeling is good.

Back to school means a chance for a do-over for teachers and kids, alike. Sometimes we teachers need a chance to start over. Maybe last year wasn't so hot and now we have the opportunity to correct that. We hope we have grown and improved over the summer, just as we pray that for our students. For me, personally, the new year brings new challenges and adventures. You never know what's around the corner until you take a peek.

My prayer is this school year will be my best yet. That's the same prayer I say on January 1st about my life, health, family, and my running. Desperately, my heart desires to provide my students with new vistas for learning. I just hope they will seize the chance to take advantage of that, not me, and see where the journey leads them.

I'm sure for many of you, school began earlier. I pray for all the educators out there to have a great and blessed year. We have in our power the ability to change lives. I don't take that lightly. The last thing I want is for one of my students to say I didn't care and they never learned from me. In 20 years, I hope they will remember me fondly and will still be using whatever I taught them in their lives, at work, and with their families.

If you're a teacher, God bless you with a great year. If you're a parent, please be patient with your child's teachers. They are doing their best. Help them whenever you can. We do need and welcome your support.

God bless you all and ever forward!



TFR

3 comments:

USJogger said...

For Pete's sake, Gregg, at least give the non-Loungers the link to the blog, http://blog.runnerslounge.com/ , where they can read the great interview that you gave....

I know what you mean about starting over. The good news about teaching is, no matter how miserable a semester you had last, you get a fresh start. Sometimes, you need that.

The Fat Runner said...

Sorry!

www.runnerslounge.com

Fresh starts are a great thing, aren't they? Ask me about that in January!

:)


TFR

Steven Rigney said...

A blog post I thought you should see. http://www.thecornwasgood.com/2008/09/message-everyone-needs-to-hear.html