Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fat Running

I recently saw a picture of myself taken at the Walk for Diabetes and all I could say was, "Whoa, I am fat!"

I'm sure people look at me and find it hard to believe I'm a runner. There are days when I can't believe it either. My weight has always been a struggle for me. At the beginning of 2007, largely due to a bacterial infection in my stomach, I dropped 10 pounds. 9 months later I've gained it back.

While I know I'm heavy, I still manage to run a sub 10-minute pace and log anywhere from 15-20 miles a week. So, I don't feel too badly about carrying around the extra weight. Besides, this wouldn't be "Confessions of a Fat Runner" if I got down to 160 lbs. and looked a beanpole.

I'm proud of my ability to run. I know where I've come from and I'm excited about where God is taking me next.

I'll keep laboring down the streets of Amarillo, content with each slow step I take and happy in the knowledge I'm in a select group of people who get out each day and pound the pavement because they want to do it.

Runners are weird bunch. We wear strange clothes, sometimes look like dorks when we run, and garner puzzled looks from people in casual conversations when the word gets out we LIKE running. But, there's nothing like the serenity and solitude of the sounds of your footsteps meeting asphalt and the shallow puffs of breath moving in and out of your lungs.

Running is just you against you and no one else and that's why I love doing it. It's like playing solitaire with a pair of Nikes, instead of Kings.

I confess--I'm a running junkie. And proud to say so. Maybe I'll lose some weight, or have some more pretzels while I'm typing this. I can always run them off , huh?

That's my confession--what's yours?

God bless you and ever forward!!!



TFR

2 comments:

Jason said...

I know what you mean about carrying the weight. The other day after doing my regular workout at the gym I went to get the oil changed in my truck, since it was going to take awhile, I decided to go for a run. I headed off and about 1/2 mile into it a car full of kids on lunch break from Tascosa (I assume, since I was near there) came by yelling some pretty mean things to me.
My confession:
It totally ruined my thoughts and enjoyment of the run, I wanted nothing more than to have my truck and be able to follow them until I could "have a talk" with them! The thoughts going through my head were anything but nice, and I was shocked they could act that way to someone trying to improve themselves. Whenever I see someone overweight who is doing something for exercise my respect grows for that person, even if I don't know them.
It took me awhile to get back into the run and I felt better for it, but the thoughts I was having were definitely not christian thoughts. Even with that kind of garbage out there, I will continue to run or whatever other exercise I want to do.

The Fat Runner said...

Don't let someone spoil the fun of running. Read my new post. I wrote it just for you.

Hang in there, Dude!



Gregg