Saturday, September 15, 2007

Running and Barbecue

Do those two things go together? When you live in the Texas Panhandle you bet they do! What a weird topic for discussion, but I have to tell you, I always feel a hundred pounds heavier and another step slower after chowing on BBQ.

I wonder if someone ever thought of having a 5k run and barbecue cook-off at the same event? Seems counterproductive, doesn't it? I might just have to do that.

For an extrovert, I'm pretty careful about revealing my life and thoughts to very many people. But here I am, on the WWW, sharing things I never thought I'd say. I am an extremely outspoken person, just ask me and I'll tell you what I think. But when it comes to my deep, personal feelings I don't often share such things aloud.

Most of the time, I feel pretty guilty when I slam a big meal. If you read my profile, you'll see I used to weigh over 300 lbs. When I got down to just under 200, I began to understand what anorexics experience. Looking in the mirror I still saw the same fat dude I faced every day. Nothing had changed. It was as if I couldn't see myself thin.

This went on for months and every time I ate I felt guilty. I deprived myself of the foods I loved, like BBQ and pizza. To this day, I still can't bring myself to eat more than a bite of my favorite pizza. Even then, the first thing I think of is getting out the door and working it off.

I think running and barbecue and pizza can all co-exist. It's taken me a long time to reach that accord with myself. I know I will never be this rail thin, exquisitely cut athlete, but I still strive to look and feel the best I can as I approach my mid-40's.

For a guy who tipped the scales at 315, I've come a long way. I had barbecue tonight and I loved it. And for once, maybe I might even love myself for who I am.

I'm a heavy runner that fights the daily struggle to stay motivated to do the things I do. I want to run my 5k's and let the marathons take care of themselves.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll create the R-n-B 5k. Not rhythm and blues, but "Running and Barbecue."

The Meatball Marathon is still in the planning stages.

God bless you all with great running.

Ever Forward!!!




TFR

No comments: