Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Devil and Mr. Jones

If I see one more Pepsi commercial with Jerry-I-could-coach-the-Cowboys-Jones, I may puke. Somehow, I have this feeling in my gut that Mr. Jones may be meddling in team affairs, again. That might explain why the Boys have been slumping, as of late. Either that, or Roy Williams is trying to cover everyone on the field. Not sure which it is.

I'm just not a big fan of Jerry. And have you noticed he looks more like "Weekend at Jerry's" every time the camera is on him? He's had so many chemical peels and facelifts I think he's auditioning to be one of the Real Housewives of Orange County. It's kind of scary.

What prompted me to write this, I'm not completely certain, but I'm just tired of seeing him on the sidelines, in commercials, or anywhere else, for that matter. He's the only owner in the NFL with his own show. What's up with that?

Speaking of the aforementioned Roy Williams, it may be time to cut him loose. Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, the old San Francisco 49ers middle linebacker, used to wear a t-shirt that said, "I'm too old, too slow, and I can't cover anybody." He needs to pass that shirt along to Williams. Roy's not too old, but somewhere along the way, the former Sooner has lost his punch. I loved his tenacity and hard-hitting nature when he first came into the league, but he absolutely cannot cover anyone (see Santana Moss and Jeremy Shockey) and he uses his shoulder to tackle instead of his arms. On too many occasions he's been a liability in the secondary.

Change the channel: The Steelers just scored to retake the lead from Jacksonville. Have you ever seen a smarter, more competitive receiver than Heinz Ward? I'd take him in Dallas in a heartbeat.

Well, that's my rant for this evening. I guess I got a burr in my saddle and had to satisfy it somehow. What better place than the world-wide-web, huh?

Enjoy the playoffs and let's hope the Cowboys show up minus Jerry in the booth sipping his Pepsi Max while the other coach catches his breath.



TFR

No comments: