Monday, January 14, 2008

More Things Important Than Football

Often times, we American sports fans get so wrapped up in supporting our teams we forget there's a whole other world out there. Yes, my Dallas Cowboys, whom I've loved and cheered on for almost four decades, lost a heartbreaking game last night, but that's nothing compared to the heartache someone feels over the loss of a murdered daughter, who just happened to be a United States Marine.

I admit I haven't been following this story as closely as I should, but I took the time last night to listen to the story as it was reported on Headline News and then Nancy Grace carried it in greater detail. This woman, who gave her life to serve her country didn't die at the hands of an enemy in a land half-way around the world. No, she was killed by a coward in the same uniform.

What happened to honor and decorum? How does a Marine rape and kill another Marine, let alone a human being killing another in cold blood? After watching the story and listening in horror as police extracted the body of this lifeless and PREGNANT, young lady from the shallow grave she was thrown in by her killer, it hit me that a football game really doesn't matter.

I'm the father of two beautiful girls and I can only imagine what this woman's parents are going through. It must be horrific. It makes my heart hurt that such evil is pervasive in our world. We can only hope the perpetrator is brought to justice swiftly and will face the maximum penalty for this heinous crime.

I pray for the soul of this girl and am humbled by her story. It serves to remind me there are things more important than football.

Take care of each other. Quit running red lights because you think you need to be someplace RIGHT NOW. Stop the road rage. Be kinder to each other and remember the mercy you receive is equal to the mercy you give.

That's my heartfelt confession for this evening...God bless you.



TFR

No comments: