Saturday, October 27, 2007

What the Heck!

Okay. I've read your comments and now I'm vahklempt (sp). Steven, I hear you. I guess I've just been trying to figure out if my blogging has been enlightening or just a waste of time. I appreciate all the kind responses I've received from you all. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

What the heck, I guess I'll keep blogging for a while and see where it leads me. Maybe you all could help me do a better job by sending me your ideas.

I do have something I'd like to discuss today. A few blogs back I mentioned I might have some news to share with you. No, I'm not pregnant. Anyway, you all know my youngest daughter is a type-1 diabetic. If you read my bio, you also know we did a 50-mile run/walk last year in November. This year, in conjunction with one of our local fitness clubs and the assistance of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, I will be running/walking on a treadmill for 12 straight hours to raise funds for diabetic research. This event will take place the first Saturday in January. My fitness club is allowing us to use machines for $1 per minute for anyone that would like to sign in and participate. Along with corporate sponsorship, we feel we could raise over $10,000 by doing this.

How can you help? I'd like to challenge anyone reading to get out on that January 5 day and raise money for someone you know that has diabetes. There are over 15 million diagnosed diabetics in the U.S. and the numbers keep climbing. In Amarillo alone, 2 new diabetics are diagnosed per day. According to the JDRF, our local American Diabetes chapter, and the City of Amarillo Health Department we have 15,000 diabetics in the Amarillo metro area (population 197,000). That percentage closely mirrors state and national statistics. See www.jdrf.org for more information.

With numbers like these, chances are you or someone you know has diabetes. With the recent loss of my father, a diabetic of over 40 years and whose affliction contributed to his early death, I'm more determined than ever to find a cure for this rapidly growing and disease. Diabetes research is the least funded of all the major diseases. Therefore, I'm asking you to help out by running with me on that day. Start a run in your city. Go to people you know and tell them about this crazy guy in Amarillo, Texas that is running 12 hours on January 5 to put an end to diabetes. Tell them about the miracle I witnessed when my daughter awoke from a coma to become a type-1 diabetic and how this kid and her dad are fighting to cure her and others.

I hope you'll join me as we battle to wipe out diabetes forever. A cure is closer than we think. Researchers are getting closer and closer to finding the cure. Please help us make this a reality.

Once again, thanks for all your encouragement and God bless you all.

Keep in touch and let me know what's up and how my blogs are doing.




The Fat Runner

No comments: