Friday, January 4, 2008

Rambo: Thin Blood, Part IV (Intravenous)

By now you've probably heard Sylvester Stallone is back as the out-for-blood, action hero, John Rambo. I thought the first two Rambos were all right, especially his spin on trapped Vietnam P.O.W.'s in First Blood, Part 2.

But now, Rocky, er, Tango, um, Rambo is back with a vengeance. He's 61 and he's angry. Apparently the plot of the film goes like this. John Rambo, now interned in the Happy Valley Retirement Home gets upset when the cafeteria runs out of his favorite Jell-O. He goes absolutely ballistic as he creates a shank out his plastic spork and then proceeds to obliterate everyone in sight. Rambo then fashions a pair of bulletproof Depends and takes on a group of security guards whom he keeps calling "Soviets." From here it gets pretty brutal as the devastation, and false teeth, gets deeper.

Stallone has outdone himself on this one. No, I mean he has REALLY outdone himself. Other than anyone born in the 40's, I can't imagine anyone shelling out $7 to see a reprieve of an over-the-hill star raising hell in the jungle.

Now, Rocky Balboa really wasn't as bad as I initially thought it would be. I thought the notion of a 60-year old man fighting a 30-year old was going to be a stretch, but actually it was written and filmed very well. The best scene in the whole film is when the former champ gives his son the brow-beating of a lifetime. Rocky's words may just go down as some of the best advice to give a young man as he looks for his place in the world. In fact, I typed them up and gave a copy to each of my 8th grade careers students on our final day of last semester.

If you haven't seen the movie, Rocky Balboa, it really is a decent final chapter and a fitting way for the champ to go out.

Rambo needed to go away, but he's back. I won't waste my time watching it. I'd rather remember Rambo the way he was 20 years ago before he was committed to the home.

Hey, you have a great weekend and let me know if you actually went to see Rambo. I'd like to make fun of you. Joking!



TFR

No comments: