Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Where'd I Go?

I'm b-a-a-a-ck! Maybe with a vengeance, maybe not. At any rate, I'm back after a lengthy hiatus from blogging. When last you heard from me, I was on a tirade about the state of my job as a teacher. And even though it isn't always fun, I don't want anyone to think I don't believe for one minute I'm incredibly blessed. I'm blessed just to have a job to complain about. Every morning I awake, I'm in a nice, warm bed next to my beautiful wife. We live in a wonderful home, better than anything I've ever had in my entire life. We drive two cars that actually start in the morning. I have a choice of clothing and, according to my wife, way too many running shoes.

That being said, all this is possible because my wife and I have well-paying jobs that afford us to live better now than ever. Could things be better in our profession? Sure. But, I can't sit here and dwell on that. As much as I'd like to make a few Congressmen substitute for a while and draw my pay for a few months, I know there are others out there, like classroom assistants, that are paid far less than me.

I just felt the need to address my last blog before moving on to other, more pressing items. Since my last blog, my youngest daughter has graduated from high school. She's now on an insulin pump and her sugars are vastly improved. She continues to struggle with diabetes, but she's doing better now than anytime during the last three years since her diagnosis.

My oldest daughter is still in college, pursuing a degree in secondary education. She'll make a fantastic middle school teacher. She has the attitude to work with middle schoolers, like her old man. My wife is doing well and still teaching those little knee-hugging four-year olds.

It's now summer break and we're all enjoying some time off. But, my wife and I have been teaching elementary summer school. I actually taught bilingual pre-kindergarten for three weeks. I now love my job as a middle school art teacher. I don't know how my wife has done it for twenty years. Yikes!

I hope someone will take the time to read my blogs like I have many of yours out there. Every now and then, I browse through different blog sites and I'm amazed at some of the writing and passion of the bloggers I encounter. There are so many good stories out there I fear are going unread by the public, at large. And that's too bad. You're missing out on some great stuff.

I apologize for steering off the course from what this blog was originally intended to be. As the title suggests, "Confessions of a Fat Runner" was and still is supposed to chronicle my running experiences. I'm still a fat runner, tipping the scales at 244 lbs. right now. Eventually I'd like to be the medium-sized runner, but for now I still push through the mileage and fight to keep my weight under control.

It is my hope you'll stop in every now and then, have a cup of coffee with me, and check out what I have to say. I hope to inspire people, not turn them off with negativity. I love the sport of running and I want to share that enthusiasm with you. There are a lot of you out there just like me. You enjoy running and maybe you've had weight problems and are trying to battle your bulge, like I do. Hang with me once in a while and I'll do my best to give you some of the wisdom I've gained from losing 100 lbs.

As soon as I post this blog there will be another one following devoted to nothing but running. If I lost you, I hope you'll come back for a visit. I'll try to make it worth your while.

That's my confession...what's yours?

God bless you!




The One and Only--Fat Runner

2 comments:

Steven Rigney said...

Welcome back, I wondered if you would make it back. My gut feeling was that you would. A life of teaching and sharing the things that you are passionate about in your work makes a transition to sharing yourself in a blog easy.

The Fat Runner said...

Hi, my friend! I got hung up in life and sort of left blogging for a while. I almost forgot how much fun it is. I hope you are well and life has been good to you.

In my last blog post, I gave a web site I hope you'll check out. I'd love to hear from you in my forum. The more people we can get, the better it'll be.

Take it easy and I'm really happy to hear from you! God bless you Bro!


G