Saturday, August 18, 2007

School Crossing

With the end of summer comes the pennant race, last-minute vacations, and of course, the inevitable, the start of another school year.

This will be my fifteenth year going to a middle school. 6 of those 15 have been spent as a classroom teacher. This summer was supposed to be the close of my teaching career and the beginning of a new life as an administrator. Well, it didn't work out that way. Our first official work-days began last Thursday. I returned bitter and indifferent after striking out in seven interviews this summer.

I sat at the front table at registration this year, knowing full well I really didn't want to return. My disgust was compounded by the shame I felt every time one of my students would run in and hug me. Or, if they presented their sibling to me, saying "this will be your teacher and he's cool." If these kids only knew what I was thinking.

I shared with you in an earlier blog my need to get over myself and accept the fact that life is good, no matter what. But when you see the state education is in today and know your role in it isn't going to get better, all you want to do is get out. When you know as an elective teacher you aren't viewed as important to the educational process it makes you just decide to hide.

Teaching has been a rocky experience for me. I've never been all that comfortable in the role. Teaching has changed so much since I was a kid. For example, I don't have a paddle in my desk the way my teachers did. I can't spank, no matter what. Trust me, I got my rear-end busted on several occasions and then I got killed when I got home. Discipline has gotten tougher every year I have taught.

My colleagues, many of them I regard as the best in the city, are becoming increasingly cynical with our profession. Some of these guys have taught 3-4 times longer than me. I feel for them.

School is crossing a lot of people. With No Child Left Behind, Adequate Yearly Progress, lack of good parenting, and public support, it's little wonder education is witnessing a mass exodus. Listen to this warning as if it were words from a prophet: If this keeps up, no one will be left to teach our kids.

50 percent of all teachers in America are at retirement age. The average career span of a new teacher is now 3 years. At some point, where will our teachers come from? You tell me.

In less than two weeks, I'll be back in the classroom, setting rules and not smiling for six weeks. I'll be dealing with kids that should know how to behave themselves but choose to disrupt the learning of others. I'll have to take attendance, make sure all the kids on meds that need to go see the nurse each day get that done, deal with drama issues, fix my computer, and chase other mundane tasks. I do this in addition to teaching classes that will average 28 students.

I'm not looking for sympathy. But when you send your kids off to school, ask yourself these questions. Have I done everything I can to prepare my child for school? Am I my child's primary educator? Do I let the school raise my child and then get angry at the outcome? And lastly, do I help my child's teachers or slow them down?

It does indeed take a village to raise a child. It takes a village to teach and learn and grow to survive.

So, I will be back another year, hoping to survive and do my best. I just pray I can do this. Pray for our teachers because they do have a tough job. We do love your kids but they are YOUR kids. Love them first in a way that will make our village thrive.

May God bless you with a great school year.

Ever Forward!!!



--TFR

2 comments:

Steven Rigney said...

I completely agree. Although, I worry that my kids won't get enough out of school because they are already ahead and the teachers still have to deal with those trouble makers. Good luck, we parents do appreciate it.

The Fat Runner said...

And we teachers also appreciate you caring and hardworking parents. Keep up the good work and hang in there!


--Gregg