Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bama's "9-11" and Other Picture Postcards

I've got to comment on perhaps one of THE dumbest things ever to come out of a head coach's mouth. If you're a big football fan, like I am, you follow teams, players, and coaches. Alabama's head loser, Nick Saban, has done it again. He's proven he has zero loyalty to any team he coaches, but now he's demonstrated just how intelligent he really is. By comparing his team's latest loss to 9-11 and Pearl Harbor, Saban has shown the world what a scholarly man truly looks like. Come on, it's only a game. Two towers didn't fall on your team and nobody died. Give me a break. I love how the Bama athletic department has begun to spin his comments to make Saban look less stupid, but the damage is done. Yes, Alabama, you hired him and you deserve him. Good luck.

Now, on to bigger, more important things. Thankgiving is finally here. For the first time in my life, I really don't want turkey. Last year, it made me sick and now I'm just to the point where I don't even want to look at it. So, I guess tomorrow, while watching the Boys, I'll be eating ham.

Page three: Christmas shopping. As Steven Rigney so eloquently observed in his comment to my seasonal Wal-Mart rant, Christmas has become a "season" rather than a holiday. I don't understand the whole "Black Friday" thing and don't care to, either. It befuddles me when I think of housewives fighting over that last Transforming-Roboto-Gigacrap that their kid just has to have only find it buried deep in the quagmire that is the toy-box a couple of months later. By the way, these same shoppers willing to commit assault and battery in the name of Mattel are the same people manning the tables at local church bazaars. The name of Mattel vs. the name of the Lord. Hmmm.

And finally, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Think of things you are thankful for. In the span of two years, my wife had a stroke, daughter survived a coma, both kids were involved in serious car accidents, and a myriad health issues have bombarded my entire family. I've had to settle down and really look at what God is trying to tell me. Through all these crises, we are all still alive. We have a few dings, but essentially we are intact.

I'll leave you with this thought to ponder--what if in the midst of all our accidents and tragedies and crises, we were spared even greater pain? What if, just what if, we could turn the lights on and see, like an oncoming middle linebacker, Satan's demon was nailed by an angel right as it about to bring down a crushing blow? Instead of feeling the full weight of that hit, we were merely grazed, leaving us with lesser catastrophe than the larger one that would have devastated us to our core. Maybe that's why Nick Saban's comments are so incredibly mindless to me. Count your blessings, like being a coach for a major college team and getting paid huge amounts of money and living in the lap of luxury while others starve or work two and three jobs to give their kids a Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. Be happy for the dings and scrapes because they could've been worse. Remember we live in the greatest nation in the world and have a few choices--like whether or not to watch Alabama play another game.

God bless you all on this Thanksgiving holiday. May your bellies be full, but more importantly, may your hearts be happy.




TFR

No comments: