Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cowboys Rant

I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember. This year's team is good and they sure can give you fits, which makes them your typical Dallas bunch. However, I've got to make a couple of comments about some flaws I'm seeing on the field.

I love Roy Williams. Even when he was with the Sooners, I liked him and I can't stand OU. He's a great "hitter" and he definitely comes to play every Sunday. Sure, he can paste a lick on a receiver that will leave him spinning until next Sunday, but, like cheap latex paint, he provides lousy coverage. In fact, he may just be the worst pass defender in the whole Cowboys' secondary. All you have to do is remember Santana Moss' two catches for TD's on a Monday night a couple of years ago, or Jeremy Shockey toasting Williams for several big plays last season and you know why I think Roy is bad. Like I said, I love him as long as he doesn't have to cover anyone.

And what's up with the Dallas special teams unit, especially kick and punt return? They are horrible. That might just be the one glaring chink in the silver and blue armor this season. Today against the Skins is a classic illustration of what I'm talking about. The Redskins regularly began most of their series beyond their own 30 after the Cowboys allowed them to run right through the first wave of tacklers. Please fix this before Green Bay.

Lastly, the Boys have got to cut out those mind-numbingly stupid penalties. Like my high school coach used to scream when we would false start, "You know the snap count, idiot, they don't!!!" I realize there's 65,000 ranting fans in Texas Stadium, but come on--hold your water, for crying out loud! Wade Phillips even went so far as to make the team sign a pledge to stop the insanity of drive-killing, or extending, penalties. I think if he levies some hefty fines these guys might get the message he means business. Is it too much to ask for a little discipline from grown-ups making ungodly sums of money as professionals to make fewer mistakes? I don't think so.

Bonus: Could somebody please tell Jerry Jones to get his chemically-peeled rear end back upstairs where he belongs with the champers and shrimp cocktail? I mean look at him. I think he's been dead for three years. He looks like "Weekend at Jerry's." What happened to leathery tough head coaches that would tell the owner, "Your place is in the stands and mine is down here." Yep, and never the 'twain shall meet.

That's my Cowboys rant for the day. See you Thanksgiving.



TFR

2 comments:

Jason said...

To paraphrase..."Whatever is good, dwell on these things", does it ring a bell? At least they are winning! You want to complain about something, take a look at my Bears! Da' Bears are just not getting it done!!!!
Couldn't resist!
Besides, someone from OU is bound to stink up the field no matter how much hype he gets in college!

The Fat Runner said...

That's funny! Yes, I shouldn't look a gifthorse in the mouth. The Boys are winning. The Bears are something else. I like them, too, and Brian Urlacher. Too bad for him.

I'm no Tech fan, but I'm glad they knocked off the claim jumpers.



--G