Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Elvis is Dead and My Achilles Hurts

I've been increasing my running mileage over the last few weeks and now I'm paying for it. My left achilles is tender and I walk like John Wayne wearing a barbed-wire thong.

I guess my age is catching up to me. At 43 and being a fat runner, I'm slowly wearing down. I'm still battling my weight and doing my best to stay in shape. After a hard run today on the fake road in my local gym, I hopped on the scale at 244. That sucks! As hard as I workout I feel like I should be getting lighter. I do lift weights, but I don't believe I've put on that much muscle.

Maybe I need to live with the fact I'll always be The Fat Runner and quit worrying about being some slim-jim dude I ain't never gonna be. My students still think I'm the bomb when they see me out running and some of my male student-athletes said they wish they had my calves. Right now, I'd rather give them my achilles.

For now, I'll keep running and hoping my legs will last me through another year. I've heard of runners taking off three to six weeks just to rest, but I'm afraid if I do that I'll look like a balloon floating through Albuquerque. I guess I could dial it down a notch and lower my intensity a bit. With the holidays fast approaching (see my last blog entry) I want to keep moving and burning calories so I can at least feel good eating all that junk on Thanksgiving.

I'll keep moving forward and not worry too much about all the other stuff. Like the saying goes, "The rest is just details."

That's my confession. What's yours?

God bless you!



TFR

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, "Fat Runner,"

I was just in Memphis (changing planes at the Memphis airport) and I could swear I saw Elvis. Are you sure he's dead? I guess it doesn't matter if he's dead or alive, while flying back today, I noticed in the "SkyMall" magazine you can purchase an anamatronic Elvis who sings eight songs. I forget what that one cost but I'm sure it was less than a ticket to one of his concerts.

I for one admire your asphalt pounding, even if your achilles is killing you. You're tha man.

Enjoyed your rant. Rant on. The only thing better than reading one of your "rant-pages" is to hear one in person (which I hope to do sometime next week). We can think about running (or riding) while we stuff our faces with breakfast burritos in preparation for Thanksgiving. It doesn't get any better than that.

Hey, give your students your calves, your achilles, or just fits until the holidays roll around.

Yu are definitely "Dah Man."

Jason said...

I was near Memphis on I-40 and I thought I saw Elvis in a 07 Corvette last Wednesday! Who knows???

I know that I took a little time off from working out while traveling and I paid the price, up 5 lbs and when I hit the gym for Tursday and Friday I did well....but I am hurting now!
I enjoyed the John Wayne reference as well!
I am hoping to be down to 250 by Christmas, it was time to set another goal, now I hope my body cooperates.
Hey, maybe if you keep running it will just go away....yeah right!

The Fat Runner said...

Anonymous and Jason:

Well said and funny comments. All I can say, Jason, is hang in there. The worst is coming in the form of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm going to run a long on Thursday so I can feel good about eating.

Keep those cards and letters coming, boys and girls.



Gregg