Monday, August 20, 2007

A Heart Like Yusef's

You know, every time I think I'm fed up with my job God sends me a little reminder. Case in point. Today, I decided to do my run on the treadmill. It's blasted hot here in the Texas Panhandle. Even last night at 9, it was still too warm to run. Anyway, I'm running on the treadmill and I look across the cardio room and there on the treadmill is Yusef.

I first met Yusef four years ago in a special education meeting held just for him, better known as an ARD meeting. Yusef was transitioning into middle school that fall so we held a spring meeting in order to best determine his needs. You see Yusef is autistic. As I sat there, I thought to myself, "Great, I'm going to get this kid and he's going to need a lot of maintenance." I couldn't have been more wrong.

That fall, it was my privilege to have Yusef in my art class. His exuberance was only matched by the volume of his voice. As his name suggests, he is from middle-eastern descent, with olive skin and always looked like he needed a shave, even in sixth grade. He is fairly tall and slender with long, skinny fingers.

All one had to do was engage Yusef in conversation to find he has an opinion on everything. He was my enforcer, keeping kids quiet in my classroom, and he was my chief helper for anything art. He was and still is my Man!

This past spring semester marked Yusef's last year at our school. He is moving on to the big high school where, no doubt, he will continue to leave an indelible mark on all he touches. At the end of the school year, it dawned on me I wouldn't see him in the halls of Bonham Middle School again, not as a student, at least. And I started to hurt. He always gave me high-fives every morning and during passing periods. He would shout my name from down the hall whenever we met. Yusef became a big part of my life as a teacher and I will miss him deeply.

Before today, the last time I saw him was a month ago and again at the gym. I was walking from my truck toward the building when he emerged from the front door. Our eyes instantly made contact and here he came, running like the wind, to greet me. He hit me like a middle linebacker and gave me the sweetest of hugs. He beamed from ear to ear as he said, "Hey my pal, my buddy!"

Well, today, as soon as he finished his little treadmill jog he hopped off and spirited my way. I was finishing my run and he was screaming, "Hey, my pal!" After exchanging pleasantries, he asked me if high school would be fun and I gave him an affirming nod and said yes. He sighed and said, "I'm so sorry I didn't get to take your careers class this year." To which I let him off the hook. I told him I'd miss him and he said the same. Then, in true Yusef fashion, he said "Bye, my buddy, my pal!" Taking a few steps, he spun and yelled, "Did I tell you how sorry I am for missing your careers class?" "Yes, Yusef, you did," I acknowledged, "and it's all right, pal." He smiled and ran off.

I want to be like him. Yusef doesn't know hatred or prejudice. He lives in the here and now, not the past or the future. He loves without judgment and everyone is his friend. I'm proud to say I'm his pal. And I want a heart like Yusef's.



--TFR

No comments: