Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Miles Apart, but Still Friends

Since beginning my blog site earlier this month, I have been blessed to find a new friend. If you've had the opportunity to read some of my posts then you've read the comments of Steven Rigney from Chicago.

Steve is also a runner and has a terrific blog site. I look forward to his comments and learn something from each of them.

It just goes to show you how something as seemingly insignificant as a blog site can turn into something more. My mom always said a stranger is a friend you haven't met yet. Of course, my mom never met Jeffrey Dahmer. However, she raised me with the strong values of friendship and loving my neighbor. So far, I've been privileged to make a new friend, Steven. We are miles apart, but I feel a kinship with him as a fellow runner.

Steven, you have my standing invitation to call on me if you're ever passing through Amarillo, Texas. I would love to show you Texas hospitality at its finest.

This goes out to anyone reading this. Life is too short. Make a friend--make lots of them. No matter where or how, get to know people. I teach my 8th grade careers classes that networking is perhaps the most important thing they can do as they are looking for jobs. Well, network not for the monetary gain it will bring you, but for the kindness you can share with others.

May God bless you with happy running and lots of fun!

Ever Forward!!!



--TFR

3 comments:

Art Teacher said...

Speaking of new friends...many thanks for the comment and encouragement on my blog! Just read your blog, you know the woes of the middle school teacher. I'll be praying for your school year too. Maybe all your running will inspire me to do some running...would probably give me more energy.
Be blessed, Carly

Steven Rigney said...

Wow. Thanks for that glowing endorsement. I keep coming back because you write so well and I enjoy reading it.

You're right about how blogs can become more than just a place to write. The internet and blogging are a new way to make friends that we didn't have growing up. Now people can find a group of other people like them around the world no matter how odd they are. Even if they are the only one in town that is the way they are, they can still find someone online that they will connect with.

Please excuse me excessive use of the word they instead of him, it's the new way to be politically correct, despite being incorrect grammar.

The Fat Runner said...

It's wonderful to be in a community of friends. You are right about how the internet can bring people together, Steve.

And Miss Art Teacher, I hope you'll teach me how to be happy in a job that makes me unhappy.

I love hearing from you guys and please keep writing. I love your thoughts and comments.



Gregg