Friday, August 10, 2007

In (i) Pod We Trust

Well, sorta. If you like to run or ride with an mp3, please write and let me know about it, what type, music, etc. I must say, I've been running with an mp3 for about two years now and really enjoy it. I don't how I lived without one.

My girls bought me a 2 gb, iPod Nano for my birthday this year and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it. I have close to 500 songs loaded on it and it is a blast to wear. The only downside is no FM tuner, like my last mp3 player, but with all that music I've discovered I don't miss a radio at all. Some of my playlist faves include Smashmouth, Sheryl Crow, and hits from the '80's (yes, I'm old).

The cool thing about owning an iPod is all the accessories you can purchase for it. Since I've been wearing Nike Air Zoom running shoes that are iPod+ ready, I went ahead and bought the Nike Plus running sensor. If you have a Nano and presently use it for runs, you might want to give the Nike+ a try. It cost me $29 and it's a snap to use. What's really cool is the fact you can get instant feedback from either a male or female voice during your run. Once you finish, you might even hear from Lance Armstrong if you set a personal best in distance and/or time.

I really dig the website and once you download your run it's a like a little game seeing your run graphed right there on the screen. I'm not paid to endorse this, but if you need motivation, like I often do, then give this gadget a shot. I think you'll like it.

And now, a word about safety. I do wear my iPod while riding my bike but I keep the volume down and I only ride in areas with very little traffic, like away from the city. I can't caution you enough to be careful when riding and running while using an mp3 player. After all, the goal is improved physical fitness, not to be someone's new hood ornament.

To see the Nike+ in action you can go to www.nikeplus.com or check out the review on www.cnet.com for more information.

I'm not paid and I'm not a client. I'm just a fat runner that likes his gadgets. Hope anything I said today will help.

Happy running and riding to you all.


Ever Forward!!!


--TFR

2 comments:

Steven Rigney said...

I run with a Memorex MP3 player that I've had for 4 or 5 years now. It's only got 512 MB of memory, which seems to be a sin, but it give me enough music to not have to listen to the same song even once while I'm running 20 miles, so I don't mind. My music on it changes. Unlike the insane amount of space by newer mp3 players, I keep it simple and only put on some song that are really motivating and upbeat. I will keep my playlist secret though, it's part of my training secret that I don't want to share.

The Fat Runner said...

Always trying to keep a leg up on the competition, eh? I hear you.

I love my iPod, especially since it was a gift from my girls. Runners can find themselves bogged down under the weight of technology, like fancy watches and mp3's. Sometimes it's nice just to run without anything impeding the joy of just being outside, alone with your thoughts.

Hang in there, my friend, and I really appreciate your comments.


Gregg