Saturday, August 11, 2007

How Great Thou Art

As you may have noticed from my profile, I'm a teacher...an art teacher, to be exact. I also teach 8th grade Career Education. For some time now, I haven't been happy in my job. No Child Left Behind has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I've watched our schools go from decent to crummy under the weight of NCLB. Unfortunately, the federal government is leaving is ALL behind--kids, teachers, parents, country.

I sit here tonight, counting the last days until school starts and dreading that day. It's not hell, because I've seen hell and this ain't it, but it's just not fun anymore. The only thing I have to look forward to is the privilege of working with the best art teacher in our district. My fellow art teacher and co-worker, Adrienne, is perhaps the finest artist I know. It is my honor to work in her shadow.

Art has always been natural to me. But, unlike Adrienne, it's never been my "passion, per se. I've drawn all my life. Some of my first remembrances of childhood is drawing. I won many contests in elementary, middle, and high school and then again in college. I never wanted to teach it, but here I am.

God has a strange and funny way of placing us into situations we'd rather not be in. Just like George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life," I languish in sea of self-made despair, being tossed to and fro by my own manufactured misery. That's horrible talk for a Christian who should be finding joy in life and reveling in every moment of it. As Adrienne puts it, "I need to get happy, or get another job."

Unlike George Bailey I never want to find out what life would be like without me in it. I am blessed to have a "wonderful life," filled with a beautiful wife and kids and lots of great friends. Had I not gone into teaching I would have never established some of the best relationships I've ever had, with kids, parents, colleagues, etc. I am blessed to teach some amazing kids. Most of them I wouldn't trade for anything. It is truly my privilege to work with a staff of teachers, so dedicated, so proud of their profession that I wish those pointy-heads in Washington could spend just one day with them.

My neighbor, colleague, fellow art teacher, and one of my best friends in the world doesn't know how lucky I feel to be in her presence. She and I have been through a lot together. We are our sounding boards and I certainly wouldn't trade the time I've spent with her for any amount of money. Okay, maybe a few bucks or some coffee, but I digress.

I guess my point is, and I'm sounding like Kevin Nealon's character on SNL, that life is too short to get your colon in a wad over small stuff like our jobs. I've stared my daughter's death in the face so you'd think I'd have a better grip on life. Well, sometimes I have to go through my 10-minute pity-party and then I'm fine.

Oh, and back to art and my teaching of it. Well, art really is great and without it, we'd have nothing. We are all creatures of design, with a genesis. We are "God's workmanship" and handcrafted to do good things for others. I'll quit sweating the small stuff for now and face that first day of school with the confidence that comes from God, not me.

That's my confession...what's yours?

God bless you and ever forward!!!



--TFR

2 comments:

Steven Rigney said...

As an art teacher what do you think about Drawspace.com

The Fat Runner said...

Steve,

I've never seen Drawspace.com. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks a lot and take it easy!


--Gregg