Thursday, August 9, 2007

Phat Gear for Fat Runners

Okay, you don't have to be fat to have a shoe obsession, or to use the gear I'm going to discuss. I've been seriously running and riding for over 11 years now and have tried almost every shoe you can imagine. Based on those experiences, I want to pass along what I've learned.

When it comes to shoes, you can't beat Asics. For heavier runners, Asics makes perhaps the best shoe on the market. If you are over 200 lbs. you might want to consider the Kayano or Gel Nimbus-9 (new this summer). Presently, I'm running in the Nimbus-9 and Nike Pegasus and Air Zoom.

Let's start with the Zoom and work our way back. The Zoom is iPod+ ready and is a very light shoe. It's almost too light for a guy like me, but I am more of a front-foot striker than heel. Still, it has some good cushioning, even though Runner's World says the shoe is more for people of average weight. I've worn mine for 7 months with no significant problems. It also works great with my iPod and I love the little sensor that goes in the insole. That's another story for another time.

I also bought a pair of the new Nike Pegasus+ and loved them. I mostly wear them on the treadmill and they have a lot cushioning. If you have wide feet then they aren't for you, but the styling, price, and feel have sold me.

The Gel-Nimbus-9 is probably the best of the group for larger runners. The are stable, but have tons of cushioning and support. They look great and feel even better. I don't get paid to give these reviews. I'm doing this to help save you some bucks and let you benefit from my shoe obsession.

The Asics Gel Kayano is another great shoe for heavier runners, but it is a stable running shoe for just about anyone that likes comfort and style. They run a little over $100 but are worth it.

Even if all you do is walk for fitness, try some of these shoes I've mentioned, especially the Asics models. Remember, with running shoes you do get what you paid for. If you buy a discount store shoe, even a low-end Nike, you will notice a huge difference in how your feet and joints feel down the road, so to speak. My advice: spend a little more and get a better shoe. Your feet will thank you and you will be a happier runner.

Lastly--bikes. I'm only going to comment on one brand. I own a Trek 820 and love it. It is perhaps the most reasonably priced of the name-brands out there. I paid $189 on sale. It is a solid, steel framed mountain bike with front suspension and 21 speed, rapid-fire shifters. For a big guy like me (6'1", 240), I need a bike that won't send the seatpost through my rear-end. Talk about a bad first date. This is my second 820 in 8 years. I sold the other one after putting over 2000 miles on it. Take a look at it next time you're at your local bike shop.

I hope these reviews will help you as you take to the road for improved fitness and a better way of life. Let me know what you think. Oh, since this is called Confessions of a Fat Runner, well...okay, I confess. I own WAY too many shoes. My friends call me Imelda Marcos. My obsession is your gain.

That's my confession, what yours?

God bless and ever forward!!!



--The Fat Runner

2 comments:

Steven Rigney said...

I've tried many different kinds of shoes, I always come back to New Balance. They seem to work best most consistently for me.

The Fat Runner said...

Thanks again for your comment. That's what I want from this blog site. People helping people.

Hang in there and the Sox won and of course, my Dodgers are fading fast.

--FR